I agree, cherries are superfood, especially Morello cherries. They are also called sour cherries, and in US they are tart cherries.
Lately, I hear that Morello cherries contain melatonin. This is a very unique quality, as melatonin hormone is naturally produced in the body but many suffer from a low levels of it and, hence, lack of sleep. Then synthetic melatonin is used for adjusting the body’s internal clock for changing time zones or insomnia. Sour cherry is a natural source for melatonin, however they are very seasonal. So, I found that they are excellent berries for freezing.
This Clafoutis recipe below does not contain cane sugar and dairy proteins. For my family, it is a perfect dish for brunch celebrations.
350g Morello cherries
100g Rice Malt Syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
270ml light coconut cream
1 tablespoon ghee
2/3 cup white rice flour, fine
* 18cm silicone baking dish
1. Preheat oven to 185C.
2. Place cherries in the saucepan with 1 tablespoon of water, cover and cook on a very low heat for 15 minutes.
3. Using an electric mixer beat eggs until smooth and light. Add all the ingredients gradually and continue to mix until well combined.
4. Place cherries on the bottom of the form evenly and pour batter over the cooked cherries.
5. Bake at 180C for 25 mins with fan on, or at 200C for 30 minutes with no fan. Serve warm.
Copyright © MagicTableCloth