Lemon is a versatile product, as a fruit, healing aid, and even a cleaning agent.
It is claimed that lemon has miraculous healing qualities. After reading research material I think the root quality of lemon is in its high content of vitamin C. There are many other vitamins and minerals in lemon, as well as being packed with antioxidants.
Unfortunately, I could not find any supporting material for the alkalising qualities of lemon, as there were many claims on this lately. It has been very popular to drink lemon water in the morning 15-20 minutes before breakfast. Food Matters site listed the benefits of lemon water last year.
I use lemon juice in my cooking every day. One day I decided to create a recipe that would contain a fresh lemon as a main ingredient of the recipe.
Spicy Lemon Cake
3/4 cup plain yoghurt
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons Erythritol (or Monk Fruit sugar)
2 tablespoons oil
150g ground almond (almond meal, almond flour)
2 medium lemons (~8cm)
1/2 cup of Erythritol (or Monk Fruit sugar)
1/2 teaspoon of Baking Spice (contains ground cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger)
5g agar-agar powder
1/2 cup water
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon Erythritol (or Monk Fruit sugar)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Soak agar in cold water in a saucepan. Preheat the oven to 175C.
2. Cover the bottom of the spring cake tin with baking paper and wipe sides with oil.
3. Mix all the base ingredients to make a dough. Using a spatula, spread the dough in the bottom of the form. Bake at 175C for 15 mins.
4. Peel the lemon zest but leave it on 1/2 of one lemon. Cut the lemons to remove the seeds. Using a blender, process lemons with the baking spices to make a paste.
5. Take out the base before starting this step. Constantly mix water with agar using a silicone spatula on medium heat until the mixture starts to boil, add sugar and continue to mix until it bubbles. Remove from the heat.
6. Combine the lemon paste and agar syrup then spread the filling over the base and refrigerate for an hour.
7. Once the cake is cold and lemon is set firm, beat the egg whites until soft picks form. While whipping the egg whites add sugar and vanilla essence and continue until a firm meringue forms. Spread the meringue as a third layer over the lemon layer and refrigerate.
Copyright © MagicTableCloth