Enjoy this divine salad. It’s a perfect entrée for any occasion and season. Dairy free and gluten free, but it had to have leek, my apologies to those with fructose intolerance.
Trout and Beetroot Salad
1 tainbow trout
15 cm white leek
500g white sweet potato, purple skin
1/2 cup mayonnaise
*1-2 days required to cure the
* Springform (~20cm)
1. The day before: Fillet the fish and salt in about 2 tablespoons of cooking salt for max 17 hours only. Alternatively cover the whole cleaned and scaled trout in copious amounts of cooking salt for 37-48 hours. Wrap in plastic bag and store in the chiller section of the fridge overnight.
2. Boil the beetroots for 40 minutes on low heat. Check their readiness by using a toothpick, it should go through to the middle without too much resistance. Drain the water.
3. For the bottom layer: Dice the potatoes, and finely slice the leek. Add both to a pot with enough water to just cover the vegetables and cook on medium heat. Once soft, make a mash and press it to the bottom of the springform covered with baking paper.
4. Second layer: Wash, dry and fillet the fish if it was cured whole. Then dice the fillets and lay out evenly.
5. Third layer: Peel and coarsely grate the cooked beetroots. Add your favourite mayonnaise to the beetroot and mix. Make a third layer in the form with the mix, cover the spring form and place it in the fridge to set for a few hours.
6. Carefully remove the salad from the form, and cut into 6-8 segments like a cake. Serve chilled.
Copyright © MagicTableCloth