If along with vitamin and mineral content, phytochemical content is also taken into consideration, food can be ranked, and the food that contains the most nutrients per calorie are ranked the highest. Phytochemicals are plant substances that have beneficial health effects. Cauliflower would be in the top 20 foods in regards to this score. This concept was created by Dr.Fuhrman.
Cauliflower contains natural sulforaphane that has been of increasing interest for nutraceutical and pharmaceutical industries due to its anti-cancer effect. The highest amount of sulforaphane is found in cauliflower seedlings. (Food Chemistry, Volume 104, Issue 4, 2007, Pages 1761-1764, ‘HPLC Screening of anti-cancer sulforaphane from important European Brassica species.’)
The cauliflower is used raw in the below recipe, as it is more beneficial for health when it is fresh. But you can easily increase the heating time in step 5 to make the ‘rice’ softer.
Calamari Cauliflower Risotto
1 fresh calamari (cleaned)
1 small cauliflower
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
100ml light lactose free cream
1 tomato (seeds removed)
1/2 persimmon (alternatively mango)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Roe from calamari, if found
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup boiled warm water
1. Process cauliflower florets in the food processor until the texture reminds you of rice. Blend smaller portions for consistency.
2. Lightly beat a splash of olive oil and a raw egg. Alternatively use cheese and cream instead, then mix with the cauliflower rice. Season to taste.
3. Leave the calamari tube for later and cut all of the other parts, spray a wok with oil and stir fry the diced calamari for 5-10 seconds on very high heat, then add to the cauliflower risotto.
4. Put roe into warm salted water (about 38C) for 5-10 minutes. Then sieve, remove the egg skein, and add the loose eggs (roe) to the coarsely grated tomato and persimmon. Add spice and season, mix well and put into a fridge. The chutney will be set.
5. Two ways to make the calamari:
a. Fill the calamari tube with the risotto and seal with a skewer.
Grill or bbq the calamari constantly turning it, for 2-3 minutes on high. Use salt and pepper once done. Slice into portions and serve with the chutney.
b. Cut calamari in half and grill each side for 1 minute. Warm up the risotto in the wok over the medium heat, switch off, dice the grilled calamari and mix into the cauliflower risotto. Use salt and pepper if needed. Serve with the chutney.
Copyright © MagicTableCloth